Connect with us

General News

Gunmen Kill Dozens, Rustle Cattle in Midnight Raid on Kebbi Villages

Published

on

Share

 

Suspected Lakurawa militants have killed at least 35 residents in coordinated overnight attacks on seven communities in Kebbi State, according to authorities and local sources.

Police spokesperson Bashir Usman said the assailants struck villages in the Bui area around 12:15 a.m. on Wednesday, February 18, 2026. He disclosed that security forces, including police, soldiers, and local vigilantes, were swiftly deployed following the incident.

Usman explained that casualties mounted as residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal, and Dan Mai Ago attempted to repel the attackers during the raids. He added that the gunmen also stole livestock before fleeing.

A villager who spoke to AFP said gunfire erupted suddenly, forcing people to run for shelter. According to the resident, several victims were struck while trying to escape.

The attack occurred just days after the state hosted its annual Argungu fishing festival, roughly 60 kilometres from the affected communities.

Local sources say the Lakurawa group has been linked to repeated assaults on settlements in northern parts of Kebbi and neighbouring Sokoto State, raising fresh concerns about security in the region.

 

See also  ENUGU AIR TAKES TO THE SKIES AS GOVERNOR MBAH LAUNCHES STATE-OWNED COMMERCIAL AIRLINE
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

ICPC Searches Home of Former Kaduna Governor Over Alleged Financial Misconduct

Published

on

Share

 

Operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Thursday conducted a search at the residence of former Nasir El-Rufai as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged financial improprieties linked to his time in office.

The development was confirmed in a statement issued by his media adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye, who acknowledged that anti-graft officials carried out the operation earlier in the day.

Reacting to the action, one of the former governor’s lawyers, Ubong Akpan, criticised the search, describing it as unlawful and a violation of due process as well as his client’s fundamental rights.

Sources indicate the probe is connected to alleged financial misconduct during El-Rufai’s tenure as governor of Kaduna State. Reports further suggest that he has been in ICPC custody since Wednesday night after previously securing administrative bail from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a related matter.

The anti-corruption agencies have not publicly disclosed full details of the allegations, and no formal charges had been announced as of press time.

See also  NIGERIAN ARCHBISHOP CALLS FOR COMPASSIONATE ECONOMIC POLICIES, LEADERSHIP WITH INTEGRITY
Continue Reading

General News

Transcorp Hilton Abuja Conducts Unannounced Fire Drill to Boost Emergency Preparedness

Published

on

Share

 

Transcorp Hilton Abuja has carried out its first-quarter unannounced fire drill simulation as part of efforts to strengthen emergency preparedness and reinforce safety standards within the facility.

 

The exercise, conducted on Wednesday in Abuja was organised in partnership with the Federal Fire Service.

 

According to the hotel’s management, the drill forms part of a structured safety programme designed to ensure a high level of emergency readiness and seamless coordination with relevant authorities.

 

Management stated that the initiative highlights the hotel’s continued commitment to the safety and well-being of both guests and staff.

 

“We successfully carried out our Q1 unannounced fire drill simulation with the support of the Nigeria Fire Service. This exercise is part of our structured safety programme, aimed at ensuring effective emergency response and coordination,” the management said.

 

The safety exercise comes shortly after the hotel concluded its Valentine’s Day weekend promotion, which featured special offers across its rooms and restaurants and attracted significant guest participation.

 

As the Holy Month of Ramadan approaches, management assures guests of a secure, serene, and memorable experience, reaffirming its dedication to maintaining high safety standards.

 

The hotel also expressed appreciation for guests’ understanding and apologised for any inconvenience the drill may have caused

See also  APPEAL COURT AFFIRMS OKPEBHOLO AS EDO GOVERNOR
Continue Reading

General News

ADC Slams Tinubu Over Electoral Act Amendment, Warns of Democratic Risks

Published

on

Share

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over his assent to the amended Electoral Act, describing the move as a setback for Nigeria’s democratic process.

In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party alleged that the amendment was rushed despite objections from members of the public.

It argued that the speed of legislative passage and presidential approval raises concerns about transparency and could erode confidence in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls.

The ADC further contended that certain provisions in the revised law introduce ambiguity and grant excessive discretion in the collation and transmission of election results.

According to the party, this comes at a time when many Nigerians are calling for greater accountability and full modernization of the electoral system, insisting that the changes do not strengthen trust in the electoral process.

It also questioned why an administration that controls a majority of state governments and wields significant influence in the National Assembly would fast-track amendments to the electoral framework, suggesting the urgency may reflect fears of facing a fully transparent and competitive electoral environment.

While warning of potential tensions in future elections, the party reaffirmed its commitment to lawful and constitutional means in defending democratic principles.

 

It added that it would mobilise citizens toward vigilance, unity, and active participation to safeguard their constitutional rights.

The ADC concluded that the will of Nigerians must prevail and maintained that no legislative amendment should undermine the country’s democratic aspirations.

See also  FORMER JIGAWA GOVERNOR APPEALS TO PRESIDENT TINUBU TO PAY MKO ABIOLA'S FAMILY ₦45 BILLION
Continue Reading