BREAKING NEWS
Benue Government Confirms Rescue of Nine Abducted Worshippers
The government of Benue State has confirmed the rescue of nine worshippers abducted during a midnight vigil at Saint John Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon community, within Ado Local Government Area.
In a statement issued by his Technical Adviser on Media, Publicity and Strategic Communication, Solomon Iorpev, Governor Hyacinth Alia commended security agencies for what he described as a swift and effective operation that secured the victims’ freedom. He called the rescue a “significant breakthrough” and assured residents that security forces would continue working with local vigilante groups to prevent further attacks.
The governor also urged residents to share timely information with authorities to help track criminals and improve security across affected communities.
The abduction occurred last Sunday when gunmen stormed the church during a vigil, causing panic among residents. A former councillor representing Ukwuenyo Ward, Emmanuel Udah, described the incident as a targeted attack and said the community had been left traumatised by recurring assaults.
Earlier, police spokesperson Udeme Edet confirmed the kidnapping and said the Commissioner of Police, Ifeanyi Emenari, deployed tactical teams alongside local vigilantes to locate the victims. Investigations into the incident are ongoing.
Following the attack and other security concerns in Benue South, the governor convened a high-level security meeting on February 13, 2026, at the palace of the Och’Idoma in Otukpo, bringing together traditional rulers and top security officials to coordinate response strategies.
BREAKING NEWS
2027 Polls: INEC Announces Election Dates, Releases Full Timetable
Nigeria’s electoral umpire, the Independent National Electoral Commission, has officially fixed Saturday, February 20, 2027, for the conduct of Presidential and National Assembly elections, while Governorship and State Houses of Assembly polls will take place on Saturday, March 6, 2027.
Chairman of the Commission, Joash Ojo Amupitan, made the announcement on Friday during a press briefing held at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, where he also presented the comprehensive timetable and schedule of activities for the 2027 general elections.
He explained that the release of the election timetable aligns with constitutional provisions and the requirements of the Electoral Act 2022, noting that early disclosure is intended to give political parties, stakeholders, and election officials sufficient time to prepare.
The electoral body stressed that the advance publication of dates reflects its commitment to transparency, proper planning, and orderly conduct of the electoral process nationwide.
INEC further assured Nigerians of its readiness to deliver credible and well-organised elections, pledging that all necessary arrangements will be implemented to ensure smooth and successful polls across the country.
BREAKING NEWS
JUST-IN: COURT JAILS FORMER NEXIM BANK MD, ROBERT ORYA, OVER ₦2.4BN FRAUD

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction of Robert Orya, a former Managing Director of the Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), over a ₦2.4 billion fraud case.
Orya, who served as NEXIM’s Managing Director between 2011 and 2016, was found guilty on Thursday by Justice F.E. of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court sitting in Abuja.
He was prosecuted by EFCC counsel, Samuel Ugwuegbulam, on a 49-count charge bordering on fraud and abuse of office.Upon conviction, the court sentenced Orya to 10 years’ imprisonment on each of the 49 counts.
More details are expected to emerge as the EFCC releases further information on the judgment.
BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING! PRESIDENT TINUBU ORDERS WITHDRAWAL OF POLICE OFFICERS FROM VIP SECURITY FOR CORE DUTIES
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed the immediate withdrawal of all police officers currently assigned to provide security for Very Important Persons across Nigeria, ordering their redeployment to focus on essential police responsibilities. This move aims to address the critical shortage of police personnel in many communities, particularly in remote areas, where security challenges have hampered effective protection of citizens.

Special Adviser to the President (Information and Strategy) Bayo Onanuga said in a statement that the presidential directive was issued during a high-level security meeting held on Sunday in Abuja, attended by top security chiefs. “The President has ordered the withdrawal of police officers from VIP protection duties to ensure they concentrate on their core mandates of safeguarding the public,” Onanuga stated. He emphasized that VIPs seeking armed security details would now need to request personnel from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, as part of efforts to streamline security operations.
Onanuga highlighted that the decision stems from the pressing need to bolster police presence nationwide, especially in regions with limited officers, which has made defending communities increasingly difficult. In response to these challenges, President Tinubu has approved the recruitment of 30,000 additional police officers and is working with state governments to upgrade police training facilities. Onanuga noted that these measures are crucial for enhancing security across all localities and addressing current threats effectively.
The security meeting included the Chief of Army Staff, Lt General Waidi Shaibu; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke; the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun; and the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Tosin Adeola Ajayi. Onanuga reiterated the administration’s commitment to reinforcing security infrastructure and ensuring that police resources are optimized for public safety. The directive takes immediate effect, marking a significant shift in VIP security protocols.
