Connect with us

BREAKING NEWS

Saudi Arabia Announces Start of Ramadan on Wednesday

Published

on

Share

Saudi Arabia has officially declared Wednesday, February 18, 2026, as the first day of Ramadan, marking the beginning of the Islamic year 1447 AH fasting period.

The announcement was made Tuesday after the Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia confirmed that the crescent moon had been sighted by authorized committees across the Kingdom, in line with Islamic tradition for determining the start of the holy month.

With the confirmation, Muslims in the country will begin fasting at dawn on Wednesday, observing the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar through prayer, reflection, charity, and communal worship.

Authorities have finalized arrangements to support worshippers throughout the period, including preparations at mosques for nightly Taraweeh prayers and adjustments to working hours in both public and private sectors to accommodate the Ramadan schedule.

Ramadan is regarded as one of the most sacred periods in Islam, during which adult Muslims fast daily from dawn until sunset as part of spiritual discipline and devotion.

See also  SAUDI ARABIA INTRODUCES NEW VISA REGULATIONS FOR 14 COUNTRIES, INCLUDING NIGERIA
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BREAKING NEWS

Benue Government Confirms Rescue of Nine Abducted Worshippers

Published

on

Share

 

The government of Benue State has confirmed the rescue of nine worshippers abducted during a midnight vigil at Saint John Catholic Church in Ojije, Utonkon community, within Ado Local Government Area.

In a statement issued by his Technical Adviser on Media, Publicity and Strategic Communication, Solomon Iorpev, Governor Hyacinth Alia commended security agencies for what he described as a swift and effective operation that secured the victims’ freedom. He called the rescue a “significant breakthrough” and assured residents that security forces would continue working with local vigilante groups to prevent further attacks.

The governor also urged residents to share timely information with authorities to help track criminals and improve security across affected communities.

The abduction occurred last Sunday when gunmen stormed the church during a vigil, causing panic among residents. A former councillor representing Ukwuenyo Ward, Emmanuel Udah, described the incident as a targeted attack and said the community had been left traumatised by recurring assaults.

Earlier, police spokesperson Udeme Edet confirmed the kidnapping and said the Commissioner of Police, Ifeanyi Emenari, deployed tactical teams alongside local vigilantes to locate the victims. Investigations into the incident are ongoing.

Following the attack and other security concerns in Benue South, the governor convened a high-level security meeting on February 13, 2026, at the palace of the Och’Idoma in Otukpo, bringing together traditional rulers and top security officials to coordinate response strategies.

See also  NIGERIA'S FUTURE AT CROSSROADS AS THOUGHT LEADERS GATHER IN ABUJA
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

2027 Polls: INEC Announces Election Dates, Releases Full Timetable

Published

on

Share

 

Nigeria’s electoral umpire, the Independent National Electoral Commission, has officially fixed Saturday, February 20, 2027, for the conduct of Presidential and National Assembly elections, while Governorship and State Houses of Assembly polls will take place on Saturday, March 6, 2027.

Chairman of the Commission, Joash Ojo Amupitan, made the announcement on Friday during a press briefing held at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, where he also presented the comprehensive timetable and schedule of activities for the 2027 general elections.

He explained that the release of the election timetable aligns with constitutional provisions and the requirements of the Electoral Act 2022, noting that early disclosure is intended to give political parties, stakeholders, and election officials sufficient time to prepare.

The electoral body stressed that the advance publication of dates reflects its commitment to transparency, proper planning, and orderly conduct of the electoral process nationwide.

INEC further assured Nigerians of its readiness to deliver credible and well-organised elections, pledging that all necessary arrangements will be implemented to ensure smooth and successful polls across the country.

See also  SAUDI ARABIA DEPORTS SHEIKH GUMI, BARS HIM FROM PERFORMING HAJJ
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

JUST-IN: COURT JAILS FORMER NEXIM BANK MD, ROBERT ORYA, OVER ₦2.4BN FRAUD

Published

on

Share

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction of Robert Orya, a former Managing Director of the Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), over a ₦2.4 billion fraud case.

Orya, who served as NEXIM’s Managing Director between 2011 and 2016, was found guilty on Thursday by Justice F.E. of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court sitting in Abuja.

He was prosecuted by EFCC counsel, Samuel Ugwuegbulam, on a 49-count charge bordering on fraud and abuse of office.Upon conviction, the court sentenced Orya to 10 years’ imprisonment on each of the 49 counts.

More details are expected to emerge as the EFCC releases further information on the judgment.

See also  NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS LAUDS CUSTOMS CG'S TENURE EXTENSION AS EVIDENCE OF TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP
Continue Reading