Connect with us

General News

Senate Knocks Habitual Latecomers Among MDA Heads, Lauds Security Chiefs

Published

on

Share

 

The Senate of Nigeria has criticised heads of federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) for repeatedly arriving late to committee engagements, warning that such conduct will no longer be tolerated during crucial legislative exercises.

The warning was issued on Wednesday by the Senate Committee on National Security and Intelligence during a budget defence session with top security officials, including the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, and leadership of the Department of State Services.

Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, representing Abia North, faulted what he described as the persistent lateness of several agency heads, stressing that the Senate would no longer condone the practice, particularly during the budget season which requires strict adherence to schedules.

He commended heads of national security and intelligence agencies for arriving ahead of the 11:00 a.m. start time, contrasting their punctuality with that of other government officials.

“We are happy that the various heads of National Security and Intelligence agencies arrived before 11:00 a.m. fixed for commencement of the interface. However, it is not so with many other heads of agencies,” he said.

Kalu added that some of the worst offenders were officials who previously served in the National Assembly of Nigeria but now hold executive positions, describing the trend as unacceptable. He also dismissed claims by habitual latecomers that presidential engagements caused delays, insisting such excuses would no longer be entertained.

Backing the position, committee chairman Senator Yahaya Abdullahi, who represents Kebbi North, said the warning should serve as a wake-up call to affected officials to take legislative invitations more seriously.

See also  GOV OKPEBHOLO MEETS EDO APC LEADERS, ASSURES OF MORE INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENT

The committee’s stance signals a renewed push by lawmakers to enforce discipline and punctuality as oversight activities intensify.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Group Threatens Legal Action Against NASS, Police Over Alleged Brutality of Protesters

Published

on

Share

 

The Movement for Credible Elections (MCE) has announced plans to institute legal action against the National Assembly and the Nigeria Police Force over the alleged use of tear gas and force against protesters demonstrating for electoral reforms.

In a statement issued Wednesday and signed by Olawale Okunniyi, Head of the group’s National Secretariat, the organisation condemned what it described as the “violent dispersal of unarmed protesters” who had gathered to demand transparency in the country’s electoral process.

The group said the incident occurred while lawmakers were deliberating on provisions it claims could weaken safeguards for electronic transmission of election results, warning that the development sends a troubling signal about democratic accountability.

According to the statement, deploying force against peaceful demonstrators undermines public trust in democratic institutions and creates the perception that state authorities are being used to shield controversial legislative actions from scrutiny.

MCE argued that citizens have both the right and civic duty to peacefully demand credible elections, stressing that suppressing dissent risks eroding democratic principles.

Demands

The organisation called for:

An immediate and transparent investigation into police conduct during the protest.

Public clarification from the legislature on its commitment to clearly defined safeguards for electronic transmission of results.

Open engagement between lawmakers, civil society, and citizens on electoral reform proposals.

The group warned that how institutions respond to public participation now would shape confidence in the credibility of the 2027 general elections.

MCE also urged Nigerians to remain peaceful and vigilant while it proceeds with legal steps against the legislature and police over the incident.

See also  GOV OKPEBHOLO MEETS EDO APC LEADERS, ASSURES OF MORE INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENT
Continue Reading

General News

Tinubu Signs Electoral Act 2026 Amendment Into Law

Published

on

Share

 

President Bola Tinubu has formally signed the Electoral Act 2026 Amendment into law.

The signing ceremony was held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, with principal officers of the National Assembly in attendance.

President Tinubu commended lawmakers, saying he had closely followed the amendment process and praised them for a “job well done.”

The National Assembly leadership described the amendments as a significant step toward ensuring that every vote counts and enhancing the transparency of future elections.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio stated that lawmakers conducted a thorough review of the law before its approval. He highlighted that the amendments now allow for the electronic transmission of polling unit results to the results viewing portal—a longstanding demand by Nigerians.

Akpabio added that while manually signed polling unit results are retained, the new system will enable citizens to compare results at various stages, reducing the risk of post-election tampering.

House of Representatives Speaker Tajudeen Abbas noted that reducing the election notice period from 360 to 300 days is aimed at curbing voter apathy and improving participation.

Implications for Nigeria’s Elections

Analysts say the amendment is a major step toward modernizing Nigeria’s electoral system and aligning it with international best practices.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is expected to implement the new measures ahead of the 2027 general elections, with updated guidelines to support electronic results transmission and improved monitoring.

With these reforms, Nigeria aims to enhance credibility in its elections, reduce post-election disputes, and strengthen citizens’ trust in the democratic process.

 

See also  IGP EGBETOKUN CALLS FOR GLOBAL COLLABORATION TO CURB CATTLE RUSTLING, CONTAIN CBRNE THREATS IN AFRICA
Continue Reading

General News

Lagos Commercial Drivers Protest Against Takeover of Routes by Seyi Tinubu’s Buses, Block VGC Road

Published

on

Share

Commercial drivers in Lagos staged a protest on Wednesday along the Ajiwe–Victoria Garden City (VGC) corridor, Ajah, bringing traffic to a standstill. The drivers claim they were instructed to stop operating their existing “korope” buses and switch to newly introduced vehicles allegedly linked to Seyi Tinubu.

Eyewitnesses reported that the drivers were prevented from operating entirely, rather than just being restricted to certain routes. Many of the affected operators said they had fully paid for their current buses under long-term purchase agreements and described the directive as unfair and exploitative.

“They told us not to use korope again, even though some of us have completed payments for our buses,” an operator said, expressing frustration over the forced transition to new vehicles.

As of Wednesday morning, movement along the Ajiwe–VGC route was heavily disrupted, with protesters occupying the road and halting both commercial and private traffic.

At the time of reporting, Lagos State authorities and Seyi Tinubu had not responded to the allegations. Drivers vowed to maintain their protest until their concerns were addressed.

 

See also  COALITION IN CRISIS AS POLITICIANS SCHEME OVER 2027 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATURE
Continue Reading