World News
Prince Andrew Arrested Over Alleged Misconduct in Public Office, Released Under Investigation
Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office, Released Under Investigation
Prince Andrew, formally known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office following an investigation linked to alleged dealings connected to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
The 66-year-old royal was detained at approximately 08:00 GMT on Thursday at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk. He was later photographed leaving Aylsham police station in the back seat of a vehicle shortly after 19:00 GMT.
In a statement issued Thursday evening, Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest of “a man in his sixties from Norfolk” on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Authorities later confirmed he had been released under investigation. Police searches in Norfolk have concluded, while inquiries in Berkshire remain ongoing.
The arrest follows the force’s assessment of a complaint regarding the alleged sharing of confidential material by the former prince with Epstein. The complaint reportedly emerged in connection with the release of millions of Epstein-related files earlier this year.
Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein and has not publicly responded to the latest allegations.
King Charles Responds
King Charles III was attending a public engagement in central London when news of the arrest broke. When asked for his reaction, the King did not respond directly to reporters. Later, a statement from Buckingham Palace said: “The law must take its course.”
Sources indicate that Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, are supportive of the King’s position.
It is understood that the King was not informed in advance of his brother’s arrest.
As part of the ongoing investigation, officers executed searches at properties in Norfolk and Berkshire, including Royal Lodge in Windsor, where Andrew had lived until recently. Footage earlier in the day showed officers stationed at the gates of the property.
Eyewitnesses reported that a black Range Rover arrived at Aylsham police investigation centre in the evening. Shortly afterwards, Andrew was seen reclining in the back seat as the vehicle departed the premises.
Maria Farmer, one of the first known survivors to report Epstein and his associate Ghislaine Maxwell to authorities, issued a statement describing the arrest as “the beginning of accountability.”
Meanwhile, relatives of Virginia Giuffre also spoke publicly. Giuffre previously alleged that Andrew had sexual relations with her when she was a teenager, claims he has strongly denied it. The two parties reached an out-of-court settlement in 2022.
Giuffre’s brother, Sky Roberts, told the BBC that “no one has a separate set of laws,” commending the King’s public stance on allowing due legal process.
Misconduct in public office is a criminal offence under UK law. It typically applies to public officials accused of wilfully neglecting their duties or abusing their position in a way that amounts to serious wrongdoing. It does not automatically imply sexual offences but may involve alleged misuse of authority or confidential information.
The arrest marks another dramatic chapter in the prolonged scrutiny surrounding Andrew’s past associations. While he has stepped back from public royal duties in recent years, the investigation raises fresh legal and reputational questions for the monarchy.
Police say no further updates will be provided at this time.
World News
Deadliest California Avalanche in Decades: 8 Skiers Confirmed Dead, 1 Still Missing
Eight backcountry skiers have been confirmed dead, and one remains missing after a massive avalanche struck a guided ski group in the Castle Peak area near Lake Tahoe, California on Tuesday, officials said. The incident: one of the deadliest avalanches in the U.S. history occurred amid a powerful winter storm that pushed heavy snow and high winds across the Sierra Nevada.

The group of 15 skiers; including four guides and 11 clients, was returning from a three-day backcountry trek when the avalanche, described as spanning the length of a football field, struck around 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time.
Rescuers were notified when six survivors, including one guide and five clients aged between 30 and 55, activated their emergency beacons and used SOS alerts and text messages to reach out for help. All six were eventually reached and evacuated; two were hospitalized, one of whom has since been released, while the other remains under treatment for non-life-threatening injuries.
Officials said search and rescue efforts have transitioned to recovery, as conditions remain hazardous due to continued snowfall, strong winds, and ongoing avalanche risk. The bodies of the eight deceased skiers have been located but could not yet be recovered because of unsafe conditions.
In a particularly emotional aspect of the tragedy, one of the people who died was the spouse of a local search and rescue team member, underscoring the emotional toll on the community and volunteers involved in the operation.
Emergency workers, many of whom are volunteers, have been praised for their efforts in confronting blizzard-like conditions to reach the survivors and those buried by the snow. Officials have also noted that despite avalanche warnings issued by the Sierra Avalanche Centre before the storm, the group proceeded with the expedition, a decision now under scrutiny.
According to the Colorado Avalanche Information Centre, the U.S. typically records an average of 27 avalanche deaths each winter, with six fatalities recorded so far this season before Tuesday’s disaster.
Business
Europe Moves to End Reliance on U.S. Payment Giants, Launches Pan-European Digital Network
Europe has taken a significant step toward financial independence by accelerating plans to establish its own digital payment infrastructure, reducing reliance on American companies such as Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, and China’s Alipay.
The President of the European Central Bank (ECB), Christine Lagarde, recently warned that nearly all European card and mobile payment transactions currently pass through non-European infrastructure. Speaking to Irish radio, she stressed the urgent need for a sovereign European alternative, citing concerns over data control, strategic autonomy, and economic security.
In a major development, the European Payments Initiative (EPI) and the EuroPA Alliance signed an agreement on February 2 to build an interoperable, pan-European payment network. The collaboration aims to connect approximately 130 million users across 13 countries.
At the heart of the initiative is Wero, a digital wallet designed to enable cross-border payments and money transfers entirely within European infrastructure without routing transactions through American-controlled networks.
If successful, the move could reshape the global payments landscape, challenge the dominance of the U.S. financial technology firms, and redefine digital financial sovereignty within Europe.
Analysts say the initiative could potentially impact transaction flows estimated at $24 trillion annually, marking one of the most ambitious financial independence projects in the continent’s modern history.
Health
Kenya to Roll Out Twice-Yearly HIV Prevention Injection in March
The Kenya government has announced plans to begin nationwide distribution of a new HIV-prevention drug, lenacapavir, starting in March, targeting 15 priority regions in the first phase.
Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale confirmed the rollout on Wednesday, describing the injectable treatment as a major step forward in HIV prevention.
Lenacapavir is administered twice a year and clinical trials indicate it can reduce the risk of HIV transmission by more than 99.9 percent.
Unlike vaccines, however, it is a long-acting antiretroviral drug and does not stimulate the immune system.
Kenya is among nine African countries selected in 2025 to introduce the medication. Distribution has already begun in South Africa, Eswatini, and Zambia.
According to data from UNAIDS, eastern and southern Africa account for roughly 52 percent of the world’s 40.8 million people living with HIV.
The first shipment of 21,000 doses arrived Tuesday through a partnership involving manufacturer Gilead Sciences and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Officials expect an additional 12,000 continuation doses by April, while the United States has pledged a further 25,000 doses.
Kenya’s HIV prevalence currently stands at about 3.7 percent.
The rollout comes as several African countries face reduced foreign health assistance following policy shifts by the administration of Donald Trump, including the dismantling of USAID and scaling back of NGO-led programs.
Despite this, Kenya signed a $2.5 billion bilateral health agreement with Washington in December the first of its kind since those changes under which the US will provide $1.6 billion over five years for health initiatives such as HIV/AIDS treatment, malaria control, and polio prevention.
Nairobi is expected to contribute $850 million and gradually assume greater funding responsibility.
The agreement is currently facing a legal challenge from a Kenyan senator who argues that elements of the deal may violate constitutional provisions.
