Politics
Goodluck Jonathan Cleared as Sole PDP Presidential Candidate
A faction of the Peoples Democratic Party has waived former President Goodluck Jonathan through the screening process and declared him the party’s sole presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections. The announcement was made on Tuesday in Abuja by the faction’s presidential screening committee, which is backed by Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde.
The screening committee chairman and former Niger State governor, Babangida Aliyu, explained that Jonathan was granted a waiver because his previous public offices automatically qualified him for the election. “The party had already given our presidential aspirant the waiver, like I said in the beginning that he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, became president so we didn’t see anything that needed screening and therefore the party had given him waiver,” Babangida Aliyu stated.
Babangida Aliyu added that the former president had been formally cleared without appearing before the committee. “In other words, he had been declared and cleared as the candidate of the PDP for the presidential election and that is president Jonathan,” he said.
Meanwhile, a PDP chieftain and former presidential aide, Umar Sani, claimed that Jonathan has already purchased the party’s presidential nomination form. “He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly. The fact of the matter is that we believe that Jonathan is the right choice at this moment,” Umar Sani said during an appearance on Trust TV.
Jonathan has not made a formal public declaration of his intention to contest. However, when a support group visited him recently, he left the door open. “I’ve heard you and I will consult widely. Presidential race is not a computer game. But I’ve heard you and I’ll consult widely,” Jonathan was quoted as saying.
The waiver and clearance come amid a pending legal challenge at the Federal High Court in Abuja seeking to stop Jonathan from contesting on the grounds that he has already exhausted the constitutional two-term limit. The case is scheduled to be heard on May 26, 2026.
The faction also announced a screening waiver for Taofeek Arapaja, a member of its Interim National Working Committee contesting the Oyo State governorship election.
