General News
Bill Gates, Jensen Huang Pull Out of India’s AI Impact Summit Amid Controversy
India’s ambitious bid to position itself as a leading voice in global artificial intelligence governance suffered a setback on Thursday after Bill Gates withdrew from the country’s AI Impact Summit just hours before his scheduled keynote address.
The cancellation came as a blow to organisers of what was billed as the first major AI forum in the Global South. Gates’ absence was quickly followed by another high-profile withdrawal from Jensen Huang, further dampening the summit’s opening day.
In a statement, the Gates Foundation said the billionaire philanthropist would not deliver his address “to ensure the focus remains on the AI Summit’s key priorities.” The decision surprised many observers, particularly as the foundation had only days earlier dismissed rumours of his possible absence.
Gates’ withdrawal follows renewed scrutiny after the U.S. Department of Justice released emails last month containing communication between the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and staff at the Gates Foundation. Gates has previously acknowledged meeting Epstein, describing it as a mistake, and insisting that the interactions were limited to philanthropy-related discussions.
The summit, already marred by reports of organisational lapses, controversy involving a robotics showcase, and complaints of heavy traffic congestion, was intended to highlight India’s growing influence in global AI discussions.
Despite the setbacks, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered a keynote address calling for stronger safeguards for children on AI platforms. Sharing the stage with French President Emmanuel Macron, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, and Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei, Modi stressed the need for greater vigilance in the rapidly evolving AI landscape.
“We must be even more vigilant about children’s safety. Just as a school syllabus is curated, the AI space should also be child- and family-guided,” Modi said.
An awkward moment unfolded during a symbolic group photo on stage when Altman and Amodei, leaders of rival AI firms stood side by side but refrained from holding hands, even as other executives linked arms in a show of unity.
The developments have cast a shadow over the summit’s ambitions, raising questions about whether India’s effort to spearhead AI governance discussions in the Global South can overcome its early challenges.
General News
ICPC Searches Home of Former Kaduna Governor Over Alleged Financial Misconduct
Operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Thursday conducted a search at the residence of former Nasir El-Rufai as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged financial improprieties linked to his time in office.
The development was confirmed in a statement issued by his media adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye, who acknowledged that anti-graft officials carried out the operation earlier in the day.
Reacting to the action, one of the former governor’s lawyers, Ubong Akpan, criticised the search, describing it as unlawful and a violation of due process as well as his client’s fundamental rights.
Sources indicate the probe is connected to alleged financial misconduct during El-Rufai’s tenure as governor of Kaduna State. Reports further suggest that he has been in ICPC custody since Wednesday night after previously securing administrative bail from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a related matter.
The anti-corruption agencies have not publicly disclosed full details of the allegations, and no formal charges had been announced as of press time.
General News
Transcorp Hilton Abuja Conducts Unannounced Fire Drill to Boost Emergency Preparedness
Transcorp Hilton Abuja has carried out its first-quarter unannounced fire drill simulation as part of efforts to strengthen emergency preparedness and reinforce safety standards within the facility.
The exercise, conducted on Wednesday in Abuja was organised in partnership with the Federal Fire Service.
According to the hotel’s management, the drill forms part of a structured safety programme designed to ensure a high level of emergency readiness and seamless coordination with relevant authorities.
Management stated that the initiative highlights the hotel’s continued commitment to the safety and well-being of both guests and staff.
“We successfully carried out our Q1 unannounced fire drill simulation with the support of the Nigeria Fire Service. This exercise is part of our structured safety programme, aimed at ensuring effective emergency response and coordination,” the management said.
The safety exercise comes shortly after the hotel concluded its Valentine’s Day weekend promotion, which featured special offers across its rooms and restaurants and attracted significant guest participation.
As the Holy Month of Ramadan approaches, management assures guests of a secure, serene, and memorable experience, reaffirming its dedication to maintaining high safety standards.
The hotel also expressed appreciation for guests’ understanding and apologised for any inconvenience the drill may have caused
General News
ADC Slams Tinubu Over Electoral Act Amendment, Warns of Democratic Risks
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over his assent to the amended Electoral Act, describing the move as a setback for Nigeria’s democratic process.
In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the party alleged that the amendment was rushed despite objections from members of the public.
It argued that the speed of legislative passage and presidential approval raises concerns about transparency and could erode confidence in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls.
The ADC further contended that certain provisions in the revised law introduce ambiguity and grant excessive discretion in the collation and transmission of election results.
According to the party, this comes at a time when many Nigerians are calling for greater accountability and full modernization of the electoral system, insisting that the changes do not strengthen trust in the electoral process.
It also questioned why an administration that controls a majority of state governments and wields significant influence in the National Assembly would fast-track amendments to the electoral framework, suggesting the urgency may reflect fears of facing a fully transparent and competitive electoral environment.
While warning of potential tensions in future elections, the party reaffirmed its commitment to lawful and constitutional means in defending democratic principles.
It added that it would mobilise citizens toward vigilance, unity, and active participation to safeguard their constitutional rights.
The ADC concluded that the will of Nigerians must prevail and maintained that no legislative amendment should undermine the country’s democratic aspirations.
