General News
Seven Missing as Fire Razes Singer Market, Destroys Goods Worth ₦5bn
A major fire outbreak has devastated the popular Singer Market in Kano State, destroying goods estimated at over ₦5 billion, affecting more than 1,000 businesses, and leaving seven persons missing.
Chairman of the market, Junaid Zakari, described the incident as one of the worst disasters in the market’s history. He said four residential buildings that housed small-scale businesses were completely razed.
“This is one of the darkest moments we have experienced in Singer Market. Properties worth over ₦5 billion have been lost,” he said, adding that traders’ goods and equipment were burnt beyond recovery, leaving hundreds of families’ livelihoods disrupted.
Zakari disclosed that seven persons had been declared missing as search efforts continued, noting that authorities were yet to confirm their status. Emergency responders and security agencies, he said, arrived promptly and are working to determine the cause of the blaze.
The fire reportedly broke out around 4:00 p.m. on Saturday and burned late into the night, affecting sections including Gidan Gilas, where numerous shops were destroyed.
Governor Abba Yusuf visited the scene Saturday night to assess the damage and commended firefighters and security agencies for their response. He urged the Federal Government of Nigeria to provide modern firefighting equipment, including air support, to improve emergency response and prevent future incidents.
The latest blaze occurred less than two weeks after another fire swept through parts of the market on February 2, destroying goods worth billions of naira along Bello Road, including the Gidan Mazaf, Gidan Taki, and Gidan Katsinawa sections.
Political figures such as Rabiu Kwankwaso and Peter Obi had earlier visited the market to sympathise with victims and called for stronger investment in emergency response systems.
Authorities say investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the latest fire, while the state government has pledged continued engagement with stakeholders to support affected traders and intensify fire-prevention campaigns across markets.
General News
Kebbi Fisherman Nets 59kg Catch, Wins Big at Argungu Festival
Abubakar Usman, a fisherman from Maiyama Local Government Area in Kebbi State, stole the spotlight at this year’s Argungu International Fishing Festival by landing a massive 59-kilogram fish, earning him the title of overall champion.

For his remarkable catch, Usman was awarded two brand-new Toyota vehicles by the Sokoto State Government, along with a cash prize of N1 million.
Second place went to Abdullahi Garba of Argungu Local Government Area, whose 40-kilogram fish secured him a Toyota saloon car donated by WACOTT Rice Mills Limited and N1 million in cash.

The third-place position was shared by Danlansu Dankani of Jega and another contestant, each presenting 34-kilogram catches. Both received N1 million and a motorcycle.
The festival’s grand finale, held in Argungu, drew a large audience and high-profile guests, including President Bola Tinubu, who served as the Special Guest of Honour.

Tinubu praised the festival as more than a competition, calling it a celebration of unity, cultural pride, and peaceful coexistence, while highlighting its potential to drive economic growth through tourism and natural resources.
The President also commended the Kebbi State Government for ensuring security and smooth organisation, applauding Governor Nasir Idris for his development initiatives.
Tinubu expressed gratitude for having the state’s ultra-modern secretariat named after him and promised continued federal support to boost peace and tourism in the region.
Governor Idris, in his address, cited key achievements of his administration, including expanded road networks, rehabilitation of health facilities, distribution of agricultural inputs, and timely payment of workers’ salaries, asserting that the government has fulfilled a significant portion of its campaign promises within three years.
Meanwhile, the Emir of Argungu, Muhammad Sama’ila-Mera, addressed a minor disruption that occurred before the President’s arrival, when more than 50,000 fishermen reportedly entered the Matan Fada River ahead of schedule.
The monarch underscored the festival’s cultural importance and urged the federal government to revive the stalled permanent fishing centre project, previously recognised by UNESCO.
General News
Delta Govt Renovates 400 Dispensaries, Builds Specialist Hospital in Osubi
The Delta State Government has carried out renovations on more than 400 dispensaries across the state, alongside upgrades of several general and cottage hospitals, in a move aimed at improving access to quality healthcare.
Commissioner for Information, Charles Aniagwu, revealed that a new Specialist Hospital is currently under construction in Osubi, Okpe Local Government Area. The facility, when completed, will complement existing tertiary health institutions in Asaba, Oghara, and Warri, further expanding the state’s medical capacity.
He noted that beyond infrastructural improvements, the administration has invested in modern medical equipment for public hospitals. This includes advanced diagnostic machines such as MRI scanners, which were previously available mainly in private health facilities.
Aniagwu stressed that the government is not only focused on building structures but also on equipping them with up-to-date technology and strengthening the workforce required to manage them effectively.
According to him, the Oborevwori administration’s emphasis on grassroots infrastructure, improved healthcare access, and human capital development is part of a broader strategy to enhance living standards and promote inclusive growth across Delta State.
General News
Kano Market Fire: President Tinubu Expresses Sympathy, Orders Investigation
President Bola Tinubu has expressed deep sympathy for the traders and residents of Kano State following a destructive fire at Kano’s Singer Market over the weekend.
This was disclosed in statement issued by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, on Sunday in Abuja.
The blaze, which broke out on Saturday evening and continued into Sunday morning, caused significant damage to the food market. The President, who had earlier contacted Kano State Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for a situation report, described the incident as “tragic.”
President Tinubu expressed particular concern that the fire comes less than two weeks after a previous blaze destroyed dozens of shops and property at the same market.
In response, the President has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the causes of the recurrent fires, emphasizing the need to safeguard traders’ livelihoods and prevent further loss.
