Football
REAL MADRID SUBMIT EVIDENCE TO UEFA OVER VINÍCIUS JR RACISM ALLEGATION
Real Madrid CF say they have supplied all available evidence to UEFA as the governing body investigates allegations of racism made by forward Vinícius Júnior.
The Brazil international said he reported racial abuse by a Benfica player to referee Francois Letexier during Tuesday’s Champions League knockout round play-off tie in Lisbon. Real Madrid identified the player in question as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.
UEFA confirmed on Wednesday, February 19, that it had opened a disciplinary investigation into events at the match. Real Madrid subsequently issued a statement outlining their cooperation.

“Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred on Tuesday, Feb. 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” the statement read.
“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.
“Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community. Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society.”
The match was temporarily paused in line with UEFA protocols after Vinícius alleged he had been abused following his goal celebration. Play was halted for approximately 10 minutes before resuming, with the forward completing the full game.
After the match, Vinícius wrote on his Instagram story in Portuguese: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are.
“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family’s. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.”
Prestianni denied making any racist comment in a post on Instagram, while SL Benfica criticised what it described as a smear campaign against their player.
Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho has also faced criticism from anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out, which labelled his post-match remarks as gaslighting.
Mourinho told Amazon Prime: “I told Vinicius, when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. They Vinicius and Prestianni told me different things. But I don’t believe in one or another. I want to be an independent.”
He added that something happens, always, in matches where Vinícius plays. UEFA’s investigation into the incident remains ongoing.
Football
CAF DISCIPLINARY BOARD IMPOSES SANCTIONS ON SENEGAL AND MOROCCO FOR AFCON 2025 FINAL INCIDENTS
The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) Disciplinary Board has announced a series of sanctions against the Senegalese and Moroccan football federations, players, and officials following the tumultuous TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations Morocco 2025 Final. The board ruled that various incidents during the match violated the CAF Disciplinary Code’s principles of fair play, integrity, and brought the game into disrepute.

Regarding the Fédération Sénégalaise de Football (FSF), the CAF Disciplinary Board decided to suspend Senegalese head coach Pape Bouna Thiaw for five official CAF matches and impose a fine of USD 100,000 on him for unsporting conduct. Two Senegalese national team players, Iliman Cheikh Baroy Ndiaye and Ismaila Sarr, were each suspended for two official CAF matches for unsporting behaviour towards the referee. The federation itself was fined USD 300,000 for the improper conduct of its supporters, an additional USD 300,000 for the unsporting conduct of its players and technical staff, and a further USD 15,000 for misconduct after five of its players received cautions.
Concerning the Fédération Royale Marocaine de Football (FRMF), the board suspended Moroccan player Achraf Hakimi for two official CAF matches, with one of these matches suspended for one year from the date of the decision, due to unsporting behaviour. Teammate Ismaël Saibari was suspended for three official CAF matches and fined USD 100,000. The FRMF was fined USD 200,000 for the inappropriate behaviour of the stadium’s ball boys during the match, USD 100,000 for the improper conduct of its players and technical staff who invaded the VAR review area and obstructed the referee’s work, and USD 15,000 for the use of lasers by its supporters.
The CAF Disciplinary Board also addressed a formal protest, rejecting the one lodged by the FRMF regarding alleged violations by the FSF of Articles 82 and 84 of the Regulations of the Africa Cup of Nations relating to the final. A CAF official, commenting on the rulings, stated, “These sanctions reinforce our unwavering commitment to the principles of fair play and integrity. The board’s decisions send a clear message that such conduct undermines the spirit of the game and will be met with significant consequences.” The comprehensive penalties highlight CAF’s stance on maintaining discipline and sportsmanship across its competitions.
Football
LOOKMAN DOWNPLAYS CLASH WITH OSIMHEN AFTER SUPER EAGLES VICTORY
Super Eagles forward Ademola Lookman has refused to escalate an angry clash with teammate Victor Osimhen during Nigeria’s 4-0 defeat of Mozambique in the last 16 of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations on Monday night. Both players scored in the first half, with Lookman providing two assists for Osimhen’s goals.

The tense exchange occurred after Lookman seemed to take a shot instead of passing the ball. Minutes later, Osimhen stopped running in attack and asked head coach Eric Chelle to substitute him.
Addressing the incident, Lookman told journalists, “I don’t think that is really important, the team won 4-0.” He added, “Vic is my number one guy, everybody knows this. Top striker, top player so all of the rest is not important.”
Reports indicate Osimhen’s anger was connected to being denied a chance to score a hat-trick in the match. The clash has drawn commentary from respected figures, including Dr. Mitchell Obi, who posted online, “Respect! Respect.!! Show some respect to your teammates Victor Osimhen!” He further stated that former Calabar Rovers Chairman, Chief Eteta Ita, screams at the Super Eagles star striker to tone down his temperament and show humility.

Dr. Mitchell Obi is expected to offer more analysis on his programme, Sports Salsa on Kennis 104.1FM with Mix Master Dr Mitchell Obi FNIMN.
Football
OSIMHEN FRUSTRATION SPARKS UNITY TALK AFTER NIGERIA’S AFCON VICTORY
Victor Osimhen showed visible frustration during Nigeria’s 4-0 win over Mozambique at Fes Sports Complex on Monday, raising concerns in the Super Eagles’ round-of-16 Africa Cup of Nations clash. Osimhen, who scored twice in the match, reacted after teammate Ademola Lookman missed a passing option, prompting momentary tension on the field. The Napoli striker was later substituted in the 70th minute.

Speaking after the game, Lookman moved to dismiss any talk of a rift within the squad, insisting team unity and winning remain Nigeria’s priority at the tournament. He said: “Victor is our number one guy. He’s a top striker, vital to us. Moments like that happen, but they don’t change our togetherness. I play for the badge and my teammates; assists or goals, the team comes first.”
Lookman further emphasized the collective spirit within the team. “Victor’s hunger drives us. We understand each other and keep pushing. We stay calm, respect decisions, and focus on the next game,” he added.
The attacking statistics highlight Nigeria’s formidable form. Osimhen has contributed three goals and three assists so far in the tournament, while Lookman leads the team with three goals and four assists. The Super Eagles have now won all four of their matches at AFCON and await the winner of the clash between DR Congo and Algeria in the quarter-finals.
