Connect with us

General News

Sowore Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Says Old Political Order Has Failed Nigerians

Published

on

Share

 

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has formally declared his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election, promising to offer Nigerians what he described as a genuine alternative to the country’s entrenched political establishment.

Sowore made the declaration on Friday during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today, where he disclosed that preparations were already underway for the primary election of the African Action Congress (AAC).

Responding to a question on whether he would run for president again in 2027, the activist simply replied, “Yes. We have our party primaries next week.”

However, he stopped short of declaring himself the sole aspirant of the party, insisting that the decision ultimately rests with party members.

“Well, let the party decide who their candidates are,” he said.

Sowore also addressed the Independent National Electoral Commission’s digital registration requirements for political parties, revealing that the AAC had not completed its submission process.

“We haven’t finally submitted, and that’s what this court judgment says. So if you have submitted now, the court says you can reopen your portal and start again. But we never stopped anyway,” he explained.

During the interview, Sowore launched a scathing critique of Nigeria’s mainstream political class, arguing that leaders across party lines were responsible for the country’s worsening economic hardship and insecurity.

Taking aim at prominent political figures including Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Atiku Abubakar, Peter Obi, Seyi Makinde, and Rotimi Amaechi, Sowore said the country could not continue recycling the same political actors.

“Because all of the ideas of the people you mentioned brought Nigeria into this cycle of poverty, insecurity, pain, sorrow, and tears,” he said.

See also  EDO STATE GOVERNOR VOWS TO BRING PERPETRATORS OF OVAS KILLINGS TO JUSTICE

“Do you want Nigeria to continue to get these same people elected or selected, whichever way they get themselves into office, so that they can suffer more, so that those of us who have ideas that can liberate this country will not be listened to?”

The former presidential candidate maintained that he was contesting to win and not merely to participate in the race.

“Yes,” he said when asked if he was running to win.

“And it is because, as I’ve said several times, all the political parties are equal, and the better candidates should be able to win elections in this country, people with ideas.”

Sowore added that Nigeria’s worsening social and economic conditions had created an urgent need for fresh leadership and new political thinking.

“It’s different because these are different times also. Times are harder. Nigeria is in bigger trouble,” he stated.

Sowore previously contested the presidency under the AAC platform in both the 2019 and 2023 general elections, consistently positioning himself as a challenger to Nigeria’s traditional political elite.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *