Connect with us

Crime

Sweden School Attack: One Dead, Three Injured as Police Arrest 18-Year-Old

Published

on

Share

 

A sword-wielding 18-year-old man has attacked a high school in central Sweden, killing one person and injuring three others, as police arrested the suspect following a confrontation at the school.

The attack occurred on Friday at Brinell High School in Fagersta, a town northwest of Stockholm, while classes were in session. The school had recently reopened following the summer break, with hundreds of students on the premises.

Police Chief Tommy Alriksson said officers responded after receiving an emergency call reporting suspected deadly violence. Police subsequently entered the school and found one person dead.

The suspect, an 18-year-old man, was arrested after police fired shots during the intervention. Authorities have not indicated that he was taken to hospital, and his exact condition was not immediately disclosed.

According to Reuters, three people were injured in the attack. Two teenage boys, aged between 12 and 17, sustained serious injuries, while a third injured person was treated and later released from hospital.

Swedish media reported that the suspect was a former student of the school. Reuters also reported that he had previously been convicted of assault, although police have not publicly confirmed all details surrounding his background.

 

The motive for the attack remains unclear. Police said they had no reason at this stage to believe that more than one person was involved.

Investigators have searched two residences connected to the suspect and are expected to examine surveillance footage and interview witnesses as they work to establish what led to the attack.

The incident triggered a major emergency response, with police, ambulances and other emergency personnel deployed to the school. Several nearby schools and public buildings were also temporarily locked down as a precaution.

See also  ENUGU GOVERNMENT ACCUSES SUJIMOTO CEO OF N5.7BN FRAUD, SAYS HE VANISHED INTO THIN AIR WITH CONTRACT SUM

Authorities subsequently established a crisis centre to provide support to students, staff and others affected by the incident.

Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson described the incident as serious and expressed sympathy for those affected, while local officials said their immediate priority was to provide safety and support to students and employees.

The attack has once again raised concerns about violence in Swedish schools, coming after other deadly attacks at educational institutions in the country in recent years.

Police said their investigation remains ongoing and that the motive has yet to be established.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *