Connect with us

International

UK Radio Station Sparks Panic After Mistakenly Announcing Death of King Charles

Published

on

Share

 

A United Kingdom based radio station, Radio Caroline, has issued a public apology after mistakenly announcing the death of King Charles III due to what it described as a technical malfunction.

The station said the error occurred on Tuesday when its “Death of a Monarch” protocol, an emergency broadcasting procedure reserved for the passing of a reigning British monarch, was accidentally activated.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Radio Caroline station manager, Peter Moore, explained that the false announcement was triggered by a computer error at the station’s main studio.

“Due to a computer error at our main studio, the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon, mistakenly announcing that HM the King had passed away,” Moore said.

According to him, the station immediately went silent, in line with official protocol for royal death announcements, before staff realized the error and restored normal programming.

“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on air apology,” he added.

The station also apologized directly to the British monarch and listeners for the confusion and distress caused by the false report.

“We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused,” the statement read.

Founded in 1964, Radio Caroline broadcasts across several countries, including Belgium and the Netherlands, and also streams online globally.

The incident occurred while King Charles III and Queen Camilla were on an official visit to Belfast, Northern Ireland, where they participated in cultural events and engagements linked to traditional Irish music and local heritage.

See also  Iran Tightens Grip on Strait of Hormuz, Offers Conditional Passage to Europe and Arab States

Buckingham Palace said the royal couple visited Thompson Dock, the historic site where the Titanic was built, and met performers preparing for the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann festival scheduled for August.

The King also toured a whiskey distillery and visited a local organisation promoting digital career skills, before later meeting Northern Ireland’s first minister and deputy first minister at Hillsborough Castle.

King Charles, who disclosed in 2024 that he had been diagnosed with cancer, has continued with public engagements in recent months following positive responses to treatment, according to previous statements from the palace.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *