Disaster/Tragedy
Search Continues for 22 Crew After Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India
India’s Coast Guard and Navy have intensified a search-and-rescue operation for 22 crew members still missing after a Panama-flagged bulk carrier sank in the Bay of Bengal off the country’s eastern coast.
The vessel, MV Ocean Winner, was carrying 24 people when it went down on Saturday. Two crew members have so far been rescued from liferafts, while the remaining 22 are yet to be located.
According to Indian authorities, the missing crew comprise 18 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi national. The two people rescued were Chinese nationals.
The 225-metre bulk carrier had departed Paradip Port in Odisha carrying iron ore. Reports said it was bound for Singapore when communication with the vessel was lost.
The ship sank approximately 240 nautical miles from Paradip, prompting Indian maritime authorities to mobilise vessels for the search.
The Indian Navy said it was closely coordinating with the Coast Guard to locate the missing crew. The Coast Guard has also deployed vessels from Sri Vijaya Puram, formerly known as Port Blair, to reinforce the operation.
The rescue effort began after India’s maritime authorities received information that communication with the vessel had been lost. Nearby vessels were diverted to assist, with a tanker eventually rescuing two crew members who were found aboard separate liferafts.
The circumstances surrounding the sinking remain unclear.
The vessel reportedly disappeared from maritime tracking systems before authorities confirmed that it had sunk. Officials have not yet established what caused the ship to go down, and the investigation is expected to focus on the circumstances surrounding the loss of communication and the subsequent sinking.
The ship had been carrying a large cargo of iron ore and was travelling through the Bay of Bengal when the incident occurred. Maritime reports said conditions in the area included rough seas, although authorities have not confirmed that weather or cargo conditions caused the sinking.
For the families of the 22 missing crew members, the search remains a desperate race against time as Indian authorities continue combing the waters for survivors.
The Indian Coast Guard and Navy are expected to maintain the operation until the remaining crew are located, while authorities continue efforts to establish how the MV Ocean Winner sank so suddenly.
This report will be updated as authorities release further information.


